While buying email lists is widely accepted as a good idea, marketers still debate whether or not it’s better than list rental. Perhaps you’re a new company and don’t have a customer base or enough leads for the year ahead. Maybe, you’re introducing a new product or service and you want interested buyers to hear about it from you. Whatever the reason is, when you opt for list rental, you’re opting for an easy, low-cost way to grow your business. Below are a few tips to help you rent an email list the right way.
In the world of list rental, you’ll often come across terms like “opt-in,” “permission based”, or “signups”. It means the lists are comprised of individuals who:
Subscribed or signed up through an online sign-up form on a website or landing page and agreed to receive emails from third party senders, .i.e. businesses like yours.
STEPS TO FOLLOW WHEN RENTING AN EMAIL LIST
- First, find a reputable email marketing company that states those names on the list have double opted-in. Opt in, refers to voluntarily requesting that their names be added to the list with the specific purpose of receiving emails from third party senders.
- List Rental means you don’t get the list for unlimited use. You can rent an email list for one-time use only.
- A good email marketing company will ask to see the offer or email creative well ahead of time to make sure they don’t send the email to recipients who would be least interested in the product or service.
- When you rent an email list, the owner of the list sends out your message to the recipients on the list on your behalf. This is carried out in-house or with the help of a 3rd party service. Whichever way it is, there should be clear and easy to follow instructions in the email for individuals to unsubscribe.
- The list owners name should always be in the “from” field, so the recipients don’t hit the spam button when they receive an email thinking they’re receiving it from an unknown source.
As email marketers, our email marketing checklist is more comprehensive and effective. Visit FrescoData Blog for more such actionable tips, tricks, how-tos, and marketing industry news.